Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Not your stereotypical ‘Surfer Girls’ at Ocean Beach
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
Today on Your Call: How is Poverty Changing the US?
On the next Your Call, we’ll have a conversation with poverty advocate Ethel Long-Scott and Professor Cornel West. Dr. West and Tavis Smiley have written their first book together. The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto is the next step in the journey that began with "The Poverty Tour: A Call to Conscience. Over 150 million Americans are persistently poor or near poor. What effective strategies are needed to fight poverty at its roots? Join us at 10 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. What causes poverty? How can the underlying conditions of systemic poverty be challenged? It’s Your Call, with Rose Aguilar and you
Ethel Long-Scott, executive director of the Women's Economic Agenda Project
Cornel West, author of 17 books, co-host of Smiley & West, professor of Philosophy and Christian Practice at Union Theological Seminary in NYC
Tavis Smiley and Cornel West: The Rich and the Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto
On Saturday, April 28th at 6pm, Tavis Smiley and Cornel West will speak about their new book at The Paramount Theatre in Oakland. Register for the event here.