Most Active Stories
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Today on Your Call: How are digital devices affecting children’s health?
- Today on Your Call: What are 'best practices' for using digital devices?
Today on Your Call: What are your favorite books of the year?
On the today's Your Call, we’ll ask Green Apple Books, Kevin Hunsanger, and Booksmith’s, Christin Evans, to share their recommendations for the best books of the year. Do you have friends or family you’d love to give a book to if only you had a recommendation? What’s your book gift idea and what are you reading? It's Your Call with Rose Aguilar, and you.
Kevin Hunsanger, co-owner of Green Apple Books
Christin Evans, owner of Booksmith
Recommendations from Your Call’s end-of-year BOOK SHOW! ~ 2011
- A Thousand Lives-- Julia Scheeres
- Eat Good Food-- Bi-Rite Market
- Tender-- Nigel Slater (cookbook/journal)
- San Francisco & the Bay Area:Haight-Ashbury Edition-- with photographs by Dick Evans and introduction by Ben Fong-Torres (the Booksmith's first published book)
- Why We Broke Up-- Daniel Handler with illustrations by Maira Kalman (Young Adult)
- The Comfort Garden: Tales from the Trauma Unit-- Laurie Barkin
- Golden Grove-- Francine Prose
- To End All Wars-- Adam Hochschild
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks-- Rebecca Skloot
- All Things Shining: Reading the Western Classics to Find Meaning in a Secular Age-- Herbert Dreyfus and Sean Dorrance Kelly
- Smith Blue-- Camille Dungy
- Works and Days-- Dean Rader
- Song of Fire and Ice-- George. R.R. Martin.
- Hunger Games Trilogy-- Suzanne Collins
- Cain-- Jose Saramago
- Gospel According to Jesus Christ-- Jose Saramago
- It Was The War of The Trenches-- Jacques Tardi
- The Big Sea-- Langston Hughes (autobiography)
- Collected Black Women's Narratives-- ed. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
- The Political Brain-- Drew Westen
- Old Filth-- Jane Gardam
- The Man in the Wooden Hat-- Jane Gardam
- The Three Californias-- Kim Stanley Robinson
- A Short History of Nearly Everything-- Bill Bryson
- At Home-- Bill Bryson
- The Wind-up Girl-- Paolo Bacigalupi
- Black Hole-- Charles Burns
- Tin-tin series-- Georges Remi
- People’s History of American Empire (graphic novel)-- Howard Zinn
- Conversations with Richard Purcell-- Susan Casslan
- Oliver Wiswell-- Kenneth Roberts
- Practical Electronics for Inventors-- Paul Scherz
- A Barefoot Doctor’s Manual:The American Translation of the Official Chinese Paramedical Manual
- En Las Sombras de Los Estados Unidos-- ed. Sandra Hernández y Peter Orner
- A Dog’s Purpose-- W. Bruce Cameron
- Lost San Francisco
- Wonderstruck-- Brian Selznick
- Zyzzyva Literary Magazine
- From our "Occupy Reading List":
- Rich People Things-- Chris Lehmann
- Griftopia-- Matt Taibbi (new & updated in paperback)
- There is Power in a Union-- Philip Dray
- Take the Rich off Welfare-- Mark Zepezauer
Green Apple Books, SF
The Booksmith, SF
Borderlands Books, SF
Badlands Books, SF
Bird and Beckett, SF
Bookshop Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz
Mrs. Dalloway’s, Oakland
Pegasus Books, Berkeley