Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
Cops & Courts
Tonight at 5pm: How does 9-1-1 work in Oakland?
"The Race to an Emergency," a special hour-long documentary by KALW News examining the 911 Emergency Response System in Oakland. Reporter Ali Budner and host Martina Castro will trace the path of a 911 call and the response, through dispatchers to emergency responders, and will also talk to residents who feel they can't rely on 911 in neighborhoods where there's more poverty and crime. We'll also introduce you to the People's Community Medics, a group of residents who decided to train themselves in basic first aid so they could keep people alive while they wait for help.
For more information, links to sources, photos and data maps, please visit the documentary website, TheRaceToAnEmergency.org.