Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Not your stereotypical ‘Surfer Girls’ at Ocean Beach
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
Out in the Bay - 2/14, 7pm
Valentine's Day Anniversary: A 55-year love story
Tonight at 7, Out in the Bay honors one of San Francisco's favorite couples -- pioneering activists Phyllis Lyon and the late Del Martin. They co-founded the nation's first lesbian political organization, the Daughters of Bilitis, in 1955. They were together more than 55 years before they could legally wed, as the first same-sex couple to marry in San Francisco City Hall. Valentine's Day was their anniversary. On this special edition of Out in the Bay, hear their love story, shared with us over their kitchen table in 2006, along with some of their favorite music and tales of life in San Francisco from 1950 to now. We also hear perspectives on love collected by outLoud Radio (a queer youth training program), and from local musician and song-writer Mark Etheredge. 7pm Thursday, Feb. 14. (Earlier version, with testimonials from Del Martin's civic memorial, on the "Playing Favorites" page at www.OutintheBay.org)
Arts & Culture