Most Active Stories
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Today on Your Call: How are digital devices affecting children’s health?
- Today on Your Call: What are 'best practices' for using digital devices?
City Visions: July 8, 2013
Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected
Verbally, ethically, emotionally, and physically, how can you prepare for violence when it's unexpected?
How might you recognize an attack before it happens and de-escalate or avoid it?
What might be going on in the mind of a perpetrator or someone you know who's about to do you harm?
City Visions brings together experts in the areas of martial arts, self-defense, law enforcement, and psychology to have the difficult conversations about boundaries of self and force of the law when encountering violence in its many forms.
You won't want to miss this riveting and controversial conversation.
Join host Joseph Pace and guests:
- Peter Ajemian, founder and chief instructor of Soja Martial Arts in Oakland
- Gwynn Brookes, martial arts and self-defense instructor, Girl Army collaborative
- Rory Miller, author and teacher; former corrections deputy, sergeant, and advisor in Iraq
Monday, July 8, at 7p.m.
Producer: Lisa Denenmark