Most Active Stories
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Today on Your Call: How are digital devices affecting children’s health?
- Today on Your Call: What are 'best practices' for using digital devices?
Arts & Culture
WEB EXTRA: The Crosscurrents Newsroom Orchestra
Some musique concrète by Seth Samuel, featuring sound recorded by the Crosscurrents staff:
1. Inserting coins into a pay-dryer (recorded by Martina Castro)
2. Singing along with the dryer (Martina Castro)
3. Cicadas (Julie Caine)
4. A radiator (Julie Caine)
5. Landing at Oakland airport (Julie Caine)
6. A bathtub of water (Julie Caine)
7. A dripping tap (Mary Willis)
8. Putting away silverware (Julie Caine)
9. A car alarm (Julie Caine)
10. Coffee brewing (Kristine Stolakis)
11. A phone off the hook (Julie Caine)
12. A three-year-old laughing at funny faces (Alyssa Kapnik)
13. Starting a coffee-maker (Kristine Stolakis)
14. A hammock (Julie Caine)
15. Foghorns (Ben Trefny)
16. Removing a rubber-band from an egg-carton (Alyssa Kapnik)
17. Oatmeal cooking (Leila Day)
This composition was a part of the recent Crosscurrents program dedicated to the work of musician and naturalist Bernie Krause, as described in his recent book, "The Great Animal Orchestra: Finding the Origins of Music in the World's Wild Places."