Most Active Stories
- City Visions: Can Bay Area Catholics and Archbishop Cordileone Find Common Ground?
- Enrollment now open for the 2015-2016 KALW News Audio Academy
- $5,400 for a piece of cardboard? The allure of 'Magic: The Gathering'
- Your Call: How bad is California’s drought?
- The Spiritual Edge: Afro-Cuban movement with meaning
Work Lessons from the World's Slums
On the Aug. 4, 2013 edition of Work with Marty Nemko, I'll talk with Robert Neuwirth who has spent years visiting the world's slums and squatter cities. He's the author of Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A New Urban World, a book describing his experiences living in squatter communities in Nairobi, Rio de Janeiro, Istanbul and Mumbai. His second book is Stealth of Nations: The Global Rise of the Informal Economy, was published in 2011.His blog, Squatter City, offers an ongoing look at the phenomenon.
Neuwirth believes the world's slums offer lessons we need to learn that can help our individual worklives as well as to address our growing structural unemployment problem.
Then, I'll invite you to call in for a 3-Minute Workover. I'll try to help you with whatever career conundrum is besetting you or someone you love.
Work with Marty Nemko is heard every Sunday from 11 am to noon on KALW, 91.7 FM, San Francisco.