Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
Health, Science, Environment
Your Call: How do we maintain land for farming?
On today's Your Call, we’ll talk about the future of access to land for agriculture, in the U.S. and globally. As urban development pushes outward, where will we find the land to feed a growing population? And what are the solutions at the grassroots level to develop new farming talent, and defend cropland? It’s Your Call, with me, Rose Aguilar, and you.
Doria Robinson, executive director of Urban Tilth in Richmond, CA
Elizabeth Henderson, farmer at Peacework Farm in Wayne County, NY
Anuradha Mittal, founder and executive director of the Oakland Institute
April 26 + 27, 2014 Berkeley CA
Wheeler Hall (UC Berkeley) and the David Brower Center
- Speakers include Joel Salatin, Kathy Ruhf, Gary Nabhan, Gloria Robinson, Wes Jackson, Raj Patel, Gayle Mclaughlin, Anuradha Mittal, Elizabeth Henderson, Doria Robinson, Eric Holt Gimenez, Reggie Knox and Severine von Tscharner Fleming.
- All lectures will be recorded as podcasts for farmers and others who cannot make it in person. To get the lectures please join our email list.)
American Farmland Trust: What’s Happening to Our Farmland?
Midwest Organic and Sustainable Resource Service: Agrarian Trust
Mother Earth News: A Growing Trust
Newsweek: Death on the Farm
Mother Jones: Wall Street Investors Take Aim At Farmland