Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- In an old church, the Internet Archive stores our digital history
- Your Call: Is there such a thing as sustainable and humane meat?
- The Spiritual Edge: Celebrating the commonalities at Oakland’s ‘Sushi’ Mosque
- The Spiritual Edge: how an architect designs meaningful space
Cops & Courts
Your Call: How is the public defense system working?
On today's Your Call, we’ll speak with public defenders about representing the poor. It’s been more than half a century since the Supreme Court ruled that every defendant in a criminal case deserves legal representation, even if they can’t pay for it. Many public defenders say they are overworked and underpaid. So how is this affecting the justice system? And what needs to change? Join the conversation on the next Your Call with Holly Kernan and You.
Jeff Adachi, San Francisco County Public Defender
Lawrence Biggam, Santa Cruz County Public Defender
Journalist’s Resource: Public defenders, attorney quality and trial outcomes: Research on legal representation