Most Active Stories
- City Visions: Can Bay Area Catholics and Archbishop Cordileone Find Common Ground?
- Enrollment now open for the 2015-2016 KALW News Audio Academy
- $5,400 for a piece of cardboard? The allure of 'Magic: The Gathering'
- Your Call: How bad is California’s drought?
- The Spiritual Edge: Afro-Cuban movement with meaning
Cops & Courts
Your Call: How is the public defense system working?
On today's Your Call, we’ll speak with public defenders about representing the poor. It’s been more than half a century since the Supreme Court ruled that every defendant in a criminal case deserves legal representation, even if they can’t pay for it. Many public defenders say they are overworked and underpaid. So how is this affecting the justice system? And what needs to change? Join the conversation on the next Your Call with Holly Kernan and You.
Jeff Adachi, San Francisco County Public Defender
Lawrence Biggam, Santa Cruz County Public Defender
Journalist’s Resource: Public defenders, attorney quality and trial outcomes: Research on legal representation