Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- In an old church, the Internet Archive stores our digital history
- Your Call: Is there such a thing as sustainable and humane meat?
- The Spiritual Edge: Celebrating the commonalities at Oakland’s ‘Sushi’ Mosque
- The Spiritual Edge: how an architect designs meaningful space
Your Call: Reporting on prisons, from Tehran to Pelican Bay
On today's Your Call, It's our Friday media roundtable. This week, we’ll have a conversation with journalists Shane Bauer and Sarah Shourd about their new book, “Sliver of Light: Three Americans imprisoned in Iran.” Their experience with solitary confinement in the notorious Evin Prison in Iran has led to their reporting on the human impacts of solitary confinement and U.S. prisons. How do assess media coverage of the massive prison system in the US? Join the conversation on the next Your Call, with Holly Kernan and you.
Sarah Shourd, writer, contributing editor at Solitary Watch and co-author of, “Sliver of Light: Three Americans imprisoned in Iran”
Shane Bauer, staff writer at Mother Jones and co-author of, “Sliver of Light: Three Americans imprisoned in Iran”
Mother Jones: Life in the Hole: Inside a Solitary Cell
Sarah Shourd: No one's free until we're all free
Reporters Without Borders: MANY DETAINEES BEATEN DURING POLICE SEARCH OF EVIN PRISON
Kudos of the week:
Frontline: Solitary Nation